- Guess Who's a Mess (preview) 0:00
Get the latest Brad Sucks updates:
I had sworn I would never attend a conference again but I was at XOXO in Portland a few weeks ago and it was damn lovely. Lots of cool people and fun stuff, I’ll be going next year if they have it again.
Looks like all the talks are being posted on Youtube. Some favorites of mine were Jonathan Coulton’s, Cabal Sasser’s, Adrian Holovaty’s and Vi Hart’s. The first two made my eyes water a few times. I hear there were some great ones in the morning as well that I missed due to the previous evening’s party levels getting out of hand.
One of the most inspiring things during the event was seeing all these independent, do-it-yourself creative types struggling with the same issues I’ve struggled with: overwork, pressure, isolation, confidence, customer/fan issues, balancing business and creativity. When you do it all yourself you can go a little crazy, getting wrapped up in your own universe and forgetting your problems aren’t the worst problems ever invented. It’s a struggle for everyone and there’s something very comforting in that.
Over on Metafilter I joined in on the Bowie Summer Challenge. The idea was to, as a community, cover the entire The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars record. I was assigned the song Soul Love which I wasn’t familiar with (I’m more a Scary Monsters guy than Ziggy Stardust.) Anyway, here’s what I came up with:
Update: Got a few requests for the multitracks, so you can grab them here.
Hey, just found out UFC women’s champ Ronda Rousey likes my song:
Crazy! Also in other MMA-related news some Brad Sucks songs will be on the Co Main Event Podcast next week, which is my favorite podcast.
Hey all, how have you been? Post-album it’s been upgrade season around here. New gear, better health, hopefully more positive attitude. I’m getting ready to start finishing up some new music. Still not sure what to do with it yet but I’m excited (& nervous) to get back at it after such a long break. Some of these upgrades:
New monitors (Event 20/20bas -> Focal CMS 65′s), new bass guitar (Yamaha RBX260 -> Fender American Standard Precision), new amp (Tech 21 Power Engine -> Surf Green Fender Blues Jr), better audio interface (MOTU Ultralite mk3 -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4), new self help strategy (CBT -> ACT), new drum skills (couldn’t play drums -> can sort of play drums now), better guitar skills (could not play 7ths all over the neck -> can now play 7ths all over the neck).
I drink these smoothies now. They have bee pollen in them. And the color green.
Went through some of the remixes I’ve heard for tracks off Guess Who’s a Mess:
Just in a Phase (Elijah Lucian remix)
Thanks for the Add (antisocial industrial remix)
Model Home (dotjot feel the Good Life remix)
Fluoride (Piero Peluche remix)
Come Back (Karstenholymoly remix)
The First Thing About Me – (Building on Fire remix)
Feel Free! Plastic Surgery! (Piero Peluche remix)
Come Back (diistinazione_altrove remix)
Hey, we did that show in Toronto a while ago and it was good I think. I lost my jacket and gloves, I remember that part.
Since then I’ve been reading about and practicing cognitive behavioral therapy (my favorite cognitive distortions: magnification and jumping to conclusions). I’ve been working at jobs for money and also working on music and recording and looking for fun new projects. Some of what I’ve been up to:
1) I have about 18 Brad Sucks demos I’m working on. Not sure what’ll happen to them just yet. Post them online? New album? Singles? I don’t know what the right thing to do is in this crazy new future.
2) I helped record a live performance of Chef Bruce and The Burning Sensations at his cool place called The Branch in my home town. On Saturday I saw Jim Bryson there and his lyrics and songs made me cry a little. Uggghhh emotions, why do they exist, what are they even for.
3) I helped my friend c.layne do the Dodged a Bullet Songfight which is apparently still in progress. c wrote and did all the hard work on the song, I just gussied it up a bit.
4) Today I’m wrapping up a quick last-minute song for Astroloco — an upcoming adventure game about space trains (trains in space!!) that you can vote for on Steam Greenlight here. I was really into adventure games as a kid, particularly the funny ones like Space Quest and Monkey Island, so it’s fun to be involved in that even only slightly at the very end.
That’s all I can remember. Catch you later.