My new album Out of It is (FINALLY) out! Please listen to it! Please spread it around! Please like it! (And perhaps please purchase it!):

It’s got ten songs, you can pay what you want, it’s available in CD, MP3 & FLAC. There’s no stupid DRM and it’s Creative Commons licensed. CD purchases get instant downloads and the full audio multi-track source will be available in the next day.

Some thoughts:

A lot’s changed since I started putting music on the Internet way back in 2001. Artist-endorsed free downloads were shocking. Flexible pricing was still an untested novelty. It was rare to find source files from artists and sharing music wasn’t encouraged by new artists.

Recently I was asked if I’d do anything different this time around. Would I still give the music away for free? Would I still give away my source files? Would I still be easygoing about copyright? Surely I could pull back now and try to cash in.

And I honestly couldn’t imagine why I’d do things different. The only reason I, a dude who made an album by himself in a country basement, has had any sort of success is because people took it upon themselves to share my music with their friends. They remixed it, they used it in their videos, they played it on their podcasts, they included it in software and games and it took on a life of its own.

To sabotage that would be a huge, retarded mistake. Instead I’ll be grateful if Out of It worms around the world in even close to the same freaky way I Don’t Know What I’m Doing did and continues to.

Anyway, this is a long way of saying I love you Internets. Thanks for all your support and I hope you like Out of It. I’m going to bed, good night!

Posted on - September 8, 2008 [at] 12:47 am by Brad
Tagged in - , ,

Justin Bacon on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 1:50 am

Congratulations!

Downloading now while I wait for the physical copy to arrive.

Jenks on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 1:55 am

listening now and it’s sounding GREAT. so solid.

I also pre-ordered so I look forward to the surprise package in the mail.

congrats on getting this done.

Jenks on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 2:03 am

followup: dude, this is REALLY rocking.

Cole on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 2:06 am

We love you too, Brad.

I just finished listening to it and I gotta say, I am blown away. Every song surpassed my already pretty high expectations. Special nods to Bad Sign which had me singing-along and a bit teary-eyed at the end (neither of those things are very common for me). Thank you for the music and I’ll be buying the FLAC version (and/or the physical cd) as soon as I can.

bjrn on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 2:13 am

Congratulations, Brad. I got the CD in the mail, and it’s awesome!

Dan on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 2:23 am

Listening to it now! It’s awesome so far!

Unfortunately I didn’t see that FLACs were available, so I ordered a CD and am listening to the MP3s now. At least I can rip the CD to FLAC. :)

uhmonster on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 3:37 am

Just downloaded the whole album and wow, it’s so great!

CTW on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 4:09 am

Brad, about your comments regarding free, Creative Commons-licensed music and whether you’d do the same thing from scratch again: if you hadn’t given “Making Me Nervous” to Reaper to use as a demo track, I’d never have heard of you; if you hadn’t made IDKWID free to download I wouldn’t have learned to love it; and if you didn’t make such good music then I wouldn’t have considered paying you for your new album.

There was a lot of negatives in that sentence for something so positive. :)

As it is, I’ve refused to listen to any of Out Of It’s previews (apart from Fake It) because I wanted to experience the excitement of hearing your newly-minted album in one go. Hear this sound?

*wrenchcrunchscreamtwist*

That’s the sound of my money coming your way. Q.E.D your generosity in giving away your music has resulted in complete (but handsome) strangers giving you cash.

I’m just about to give Out Of It its first spin. If it’s as much fun as IDKWID then I’ll scribble about it in my amateurish blog, Catching The Waves, thus negating all your good publicity. :-)

Best of luck, CTW.

bato on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 4:25 am

Congratulation Brad! I’m listening it now!

Thanks for your excellent work!

needleboy on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 4:52 am

Brad, the new album is amazing!
I love the newfound seriousness, beautiful!
Amazing work, can’t wait for the next one ;)

Jim on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 5:57 am

Thank you, Brad.

Hoki on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 6:22 am

Omg, bought it (of course),
it’s truely awesome !

May anyone create a digg post ? We will all digg I’m sure.
(I tried to, but only got massive 404 errors \o/)

Anyway, Brad, you did a real masterpiece here ! I’m now trying to spread it ;D

Hoki on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 6:24 am

My bad, it worked !
Love it, digg it ;D

GP(MPK) on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 7:55 am

Congratulations! I enjoyed following your progress. Keep up the good work!

ezuk on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 8:32 am

Go Brad!! :) Good music, I’m enjoying it! Thanks for releasing this for free!

Joseph on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 8:36 am

Hey brad, I am a long time fan and I just want to say rock on.

Hope your album makes pretty good sales and Best of luck to you.

keep it real ;)

garagespin on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 9:09 am

Just bought the CD…and looking forward to check out the mp3s when I get home…
-mike

Mintz on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 9:22 am

One word: Finally. Downloading now while I wait for the CD in the mail. I actually dreamed last night that the CD came in the mail… But now I can listen to it for real!

thegreathal on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 9:26 am

legendary topic.

ryanlynds on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 10:26 am

It’s pretty great.

Scott Gentzen on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 10:46 am

Haven’t seen the mail from the weekend yet. Downloaded this morning and listened in the iPod on the way to work.

Out of It sounds fantastic! I’m glad you got it done and out. I hope it finds more success than IDKWID did!

Plutor on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 11:15 am

I’m on my third listen through. It’s too awesome, I’m not going to get any work done as long as I’m enjoying it. Brad, for the sake of my employer, please make your next album about 70% less rocking.

Wuh oh, I think I’m singing out loud, now.

InternetFriend on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 11:48 am

THIS IS GREAT AND WHOMEVER THINKS OTHERWISE IS A GAY BABY

RudeMorgue on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Wow.

I liked IDKWID, but this is amazing. Absolutely stellar.

Englisheddie on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 12:33 pm

lol i was going to wait for my CD to come but I literally couldn’t xD

Its an awesome album, The variety on the tracks is great and the quality is fantastic. There isnt a single track I dont like, its all great! and I can’t wait for the physical copy to arrive 8D.

cakesalie on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Dude , this new album of yours has reached an entirely new level of awsome. Its called HAWSOME!!!!

Rob Cosh on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Congrats Brad! I’m stoked to see it being so well received. It’s a kick-ass album!

flux on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 1:53 pm

totally stellar! thanks for your hard work leading to this great release and for your understanding of how music should be distributed! i’ll be purchasing the cd when i get home and letting all my buddies know :)

MO on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Congratulations! Thanks for putting it out there.

Bas den Bode on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Brad this is amazing! please thank me in a speech someday when you get some kind of big award for awesomeness.

Get your live act together and conquer the world mate!

love from holland

Leo on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Ugh this is horrible. Why would anyone listen to this?

Just kidding.

This album kicks ass and was well worth the wait ^__^

You’re awesome brad

menglor on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 2:34 pm

ZOMG! NO WAY!

Whats this button do anyway?

BRAD SUCKS!!! So does Mona, but thats what Brad says ;)

Josh Trutwin on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Brad – great stuff.

skizelo on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I’ve been playing the demos pretty hard lately, but man you’ve added things I didn’t even notice they were lacking!
It’s a good album.

_Lasar on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 3:59 pm

CD arrived just in time. Very awesome. Keep it up! I might just have to throw beer money your way to get one of those pins.

SexyJosh on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Just got my CD in the mail. Kinda surreal to see my name on the back of the case. I’m am loving every song on this album (and not just because I’m in one of them :-P ). I seriously think you out did yourself with this album.

chunter on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Why wasn’t this released on Magnatune? Sorry if this repeats someone.

Brett on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Gongrats Dude! I’m liking it!

p.s. I wish anytime I released an album it got this much press lol. Keep up the good work!

G-Harp The Producer on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Gonna order mine today when I get finished with work stuff. I’ve heard it though and it’s sounding incredible!

Brad, can I expect to see the sources and accapella’s for the album available for remixing like with IDKWID?

Torcidalol on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Brad, this is some amazing stuff. I will most definitely be spreading this around (to the furthest of my humanely possible extent)!

Chris Cardinal on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Brad,

How do you feel about the Rhapsody concept? I found you on Pandora and downloaded your album through Rhapsody, but I have no idea how many of those pennies end up in your pocket. And I know the quick and dirty solution is to buy direct through you or donate more, but I’m wondering what you end up seeing from them?

NaZz on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 5:39 pm

I’m listening now and I have managed to listen to first 2 songs – Honestly – quality music! Thanks.

c.layne on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 6:28 pm

It kind of sucks.

Mack on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Great album! Excellent work!

Mastrix on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Awesome album, I’m loving it. Only one complaint. I want more! Seriously though, great work. I can tell that a lot of blood sweat and tears have been put into it.

Darg on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 7:24 pm

I like what you did to Gasoline, but I think Understood by Your Dad may take some getting-used-to.

Michael Gregoire on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 8:17 pm

W00T! 47th comment! Seriously though… I look forward to checking this out. Thanks!

Infernoman on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Download time…when i have money, ill send you some. promise.

Chris Hartzog on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Hey Brad congratulations on your new CD. Being a fellow singer, songwriter, musician, recording engineer, producer and janitor I understand exactly how much this work this was for you! I am listening to your tunes as I write this. Good job! May you have much success.

Theron Trowbridge on Out of It
September 8, 2008 at 9:38 pm

WOW. Just listened to the MP3s while I wait for my physical CD. It may have taken a long time, but it was well worth the wait. Fantastic record.